YWCA – ASPIRE Employment Program for Refugee WomenSeptember 3, 2019
ISSofBC Spark & Ignite Entrepreneurial Program for RefugeesOctober 23, 2019
is offering financial support in the form of bursaries for newcomers who are interested in social entrepreneurship to take the “Explore” course to both women and men. Since January 2019, Groundswell provided bursaries and scholarships to 15 women from 11 countries, including 3 refugees, 4 who are LGBTQ2+, ages 20-54. Six of these women launched their social businesses, with more continuing in our Build incubator program starting in the fall. See examples of their businesses, like Dreamist
, an online art studio classes and Marian Art Studio
, upcycling and art workshops by clicking the link: https://groundswellcommunity.ca/blog/2019/6/9/cohort-9-ventures
About Explore Course
The Bursary is for our newly revamped 4-week part-time Explore course, running between October 4-23. This course will introduce entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial mindset to newcomers, help them discover their own unique gifts that can be turned into a business or applied in their career, and help them decide whether entrepreneurship is the right path for them.
Participants will meet several established entrepreneurs, including indigenous, LGBTQ and women of colour; receive mentorship, and build relationships with other diverse Canadian-born students.
Link to Bursary Application is here. To learn more book a call with Elena Yugai, Explore Program facilitator.
- 25-50% of tuition, Limited spots available
- Applications are approved on a rolling basis
- Payment plans and additional Vancity micro-financing loans are available [Must be Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident]
- Immigrant or Refugee, less than 10 years in Canada
- Have a desire to start a business with a social or environmental benefit
- You can have a business idea or early stage business, but it is not necessary.
- Intermediate-Advanced English
- No prior business experience is required
- Deadline to apply: September 20, 2019
Results: announced on a rolling basis
- PROGRAM DATES:
October 4: 5:30-8:30 pm
October 5-23: Saturdays, 10am-4pm, Wednesdays, 6-8 PM